At a recent meeting the committee considered the way forward on the issues
of Captaincy and the selection of teams on a weekly basis.
The committee view is that the captaincy should be decided by the players in
the following manner 1. Nominations for Captain of the 1st & 2nd Xi should
come from Active senior players (This will include juniors who have played
senior cricket regularly during the previous season)
2. Nominations should be sent by email or letter to the secretary to be
received before Thursday 31st January .
3. Players will then be asked to vote for each of the two positions (All
players will have a vote for each team ) . Voting will be completed by email
before the AGM.
4. The results will be announced at the AGM.
5. The elected captains can appoint their own Vice Captains.
6. If no nominations are received the committee will approach prospective
candidates to take on the role.
7. The committee will ask the AGM to consider the appointment annually of a
Club Captain each season.
8. It is worth pointing out that Captains duties extend beyond tossing the
coin and picking the batting order - Captains are expected to
- Participate in the selection process.
- Attend Management Meetings
- Ensure that Subs are collected , scorers and umpires paid .
- The Score & Match result are entered on the League
- Ensure that players are designated to assist in Half time
wicket preparation, locking of the scorebox & leaving dressing
- Captains do not have to carry out these duties personally
but it is their job to delegate and organise that the tasks are carried out.
The selection process is becoming less and less effective for a couple of
reasons, lack of player availability & Captains merely sending selection
lists to be acted upon. The committee feel it is a bit pointless turning up
every Tuesday when selection has effectively been decided .
The committee feel that in the modern era of communication it is not
unreasonable for captains to discuss teams selection and availability on the
phone and then communicate that to secretary for updating on the website.
However a casting vote may be needed where the two captains disagree hence
the earlier consideration of appointing a Club Captain who can fulfil this role
. This would ideally be a senior player currently still playing but that is not
Also key to the success of this will be the attendance of captains at
monthly management meeting so that issues can be discussed and that there is a
process for players to use if they feel they are not being treated fairly.
This issue will be discussed at the AGM as it may result in a change in the
constitution of the club.
Hopefully we will be in a position to announce indoor practice sessions